Thursday, August 9, 2012

I think I had the longest commute this morning in the history of commutting. I woke up at about 3 AM, yesterday to make the truck drive to the airport on Xmas Island. A 3 hr. flight to Hawaii, than a 5 hr. flight to LA, and then another 5 hr. flight to Newark, then a bus ride to NYC to be at work at 8 AM. I covered about 8000 miles in 20 hrs. from waking up!

WOW, what a trip !!!! The fishing was insane with about 20 different species caught. Joey and I tried for tuna and had them busting around us for a couple hrs. one morning, but we just could not get one to take anything. The GT's were our main target and we each landed a bunch of nice ones over 50 lbs.

The weather was great but windy most of the time which made for some rough water and fast drifts while jigging. There was only a few hundred yards from 100 feet deep to 300 feet deep and then it went to 1000 feet on the next drift.

We mainly jigged with 4-7 oz. jigs to the bottom and then speed jig up. It was rare if we went 5 drops without a fish from 5 lbs to 65 lbs.

I think the most exciting part of the trip was on one of my last drops on the last day using a 7 oz. jig. My line was heading down to about 200 feet, when all of a sudden, I thought I lost my jig. I started to see my line heading for the surface when I looked up to the direction of my line, only to see about a 7 foot sailfish jump out of the water with my jig in it's mouth!!!

It dove down as I set the hook and about 15 seconds later the line was heading back to the top. Another huge jump and a few second tail walk about 75 feet away from me. When he landed, I saw the line just snap and it was off. I can't explain how my heart was racing with the sailfish tail walking so close.

I have a bunch of pictures and tried picking out the better ones. I will post more during the week with a few videos as well. The week went fast, but I am not sure how much more my hands and arms could take of that type of fishing. I have more cuts on my hand from fighting and landing and releasing fish then I have ever had.
Dan
I wish I had the time to explain each picture, but ask away and I will try to best answer them.
From the Kayak Fishing Stuff forum

No comments:

Post a Comment